Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just Another Meatless Monday

My grandfather always tells me to K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid!

The kitchen is the one place where I seem to forget that nice little acronym...

I should probably start by explaining that I come from a meat and potatoes family.  We have always had meat of some sort, a veggie, and a grain or potato at every single meal for most of my life.  There were, of course, rare exceptions.  I also had my attempts at vegetarianism while I was in college.  For me it was never about the cruelty of killing the animal, but more so about the fact that I really do not enjoy eating meat.  Call me crazy if you must, but I hate steak and I hate seafood!  Every time I tried to become a vegetarian I would do well until one of two events struck - Thanksgiving and 4th of July.  I just cannot turn down turkey and juicy burgers!  A one day slip would turn into a landslide of meat no matter how hard I tried to find my way back to the vegetarian path. 

Not having much experience with vegetarian dishes, I have viewed Meatless Mondays as a bit of a challenge.  The only exposure I ever really had to vegetarian meals was in college.  I attended a college that really put forth an effort in making appealing vegetarian meals and even had a vegetarian food line.  For those that were not vegetarian, the food was there to be played with while they waited for their turn in the sandwich line - I think it reminded people of play-dough sometimes!  Another reason I view Meatless Monday as a challenge is partially because I always feel like I need to present a completed "traditional" meal.  I also always feel like cooking should consist of a certain amount of work.  This week my dad and sister proved me otherwise...

While writing my grocery list on Saturdays, I always ask "Is there anything in particular you guys want for dinner this week?"  Normally I get groans and stares and they tell me to do what I want.  This week my dad actually chimed in with a request!  While writing my menu and list I was still pondering over Monday's meatless meal.  When my dad mentioned baked potatoes this thought hit me - there are so many meals that I make throughout the year that don't have meat in them that my family enjoys so much!  I quickly realized that I could swap out what little meat I do use in my Loaded Baked Potatoes and use that as a vegetarian meal.  Last week my sister's suggestion of an Ultimate Garden Salad was pretty straight forward, too. 

I have to sit back and wonder why I sometimes make simple things like that so difficult for myself.  I don't know if I just get caught up in the cooking and planning process, or if it is about enjoying the challenge.  What I have realized though is that sometimes there is an easy, yet delicious way out!  As much as I love being in the kitchen, sometimes I like an easy way out meal, too!  I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed throwing the potatoes in the microwave and just heating up a few things on the stove top - what can I say, sometimes a girl just needs a break! 

For our baked potatoes, we enjoyed toppings that included cheddar cheese, onions, sour cream, broccoli, vegetarian chili, and Bacon Bits.  I should probably point out here that Bacon Bits are not actually meat, but rather, soy!  Sorry if I ruined them for you! 

What did I learn this week?  Despite the fact that I should K.I.S.S., my mind is already revolving around what next Monday's dinner will be!  I think after two weeks of vegetarian gone easy, I might need to pull out a showstopper next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...