Friday, November 5, 2010

Breakfast Nachos

I've finally found my way back to the blog-o-sphere and twitterverse after having had my laptops power cord eaten alive by the vacuum cleaner!  I've managed to steal my dad's power cord just long enough to power up and post a few things.  While I love the convenience of the laptop, I definitely went through less parts and replacements with a desktop, but anywho, I digress...back to the recipes!

I made these for the post-homecoming party at our house about a week and a half ago.  The idea hit me out of nowhere while I was thinking about what to serve the kiddos.  I was determined to put out breakfast food only, but didn't just want to throw out a plate of meat to supplement a menu that was clearly lacking protein, and I wanted to be sure it was something that they would definitely eat!  I ran the idea past my sister, and when she was intrigued, I decided it was go time!  They were a HUGE hit, and were different and fun to eat (Plus I didn't have to wash utensils)! 

Breakfast Nachos
Yields 6 - 8 servings

To Prepare the Nachos
1. Spray an oven safe casserole dish or pan with a little non-stick cooking spray.  I learned the hard way that this is a critical step...let's just say that the end result was me cursing in the kitchen with scalding hot water trying to scrape the bottom of the pan for about 30 minutes to clean it the next day!  I'll let your imagination run from there...
2. Pour a bag of tortilla chips into the pan.
3. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
4. Fry a 1 pound tube of breakfast sausage.  Break it up as you cook it, so it starts to resemble ground beef!
5. While the sausage is cooking, dice 1 small onion, and 1 bell pepper. 
6. When the meat is done cooking, spread it evenly over the top of the tortilla chips.
7. Evenly sprinkle the top of the meat with the bell peppers and onions. 
8. Break 6 - 8 eggs one at a time over the top of the nachos, but try to not break the yolks.  Be sure to spread them out so there is an even distribution of egg over the nachos!  The eggs with settle across the top of the meat and veggies and spread fairly evenly on their own. 
9. Bake the nachos until the egg whites have cooked and the yolks are still a little runny. 
10. Right before taking them out of the oven, sprinkle with some grated cheddar or taco blend cheese, and finish baking it until the cheese has melted. 
11. Serve with salsa and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...