Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Eat To Be Cancer Free!

Some of you reading this may know that finding a cure for cancer is a cause that is very near and dear to my heart, as it is for many of us.  In September 2009, my mother lost her battle with cancer, so when Foodbuzz partnered with Elextrolux to create a Ovarian Cancer Research event, I had to get involved.

This Friday Foodbuzz will be hosting a Top 9 Takeover!  For my readers that are not familiar with Foodbuzz, they feature the top 9 recipes/blog posts as voted on by Foodbuzz Community members all day, every day on their website.  All of the recipes featured this Friday will be tea party themed.  For each recipe submitted by a Featured Publisher, Foodbuzz will donate $50.00 to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.

To get involved, you can visit Kelly Ripa and Elextrolux's Kelly Confidential page to donate simply by joining the cause!  Support a fellow Jersey Girl (and not to mention, a great cause)! 

Now, let's get to the food...

I hemmed and hawed over a few tea party ideas, and had settled on a kiddie themed party for grown ups.  While I was driving, a few days later, I got to thinking about what we really know about early detection and prevention.  I thought back to my time caring for my mom, and I also thought about the plethora of information our family had gathered.  I remembered receiving so much information on foods that help prevent cancer, and that would also help my mom feel better during her chemo treatments.  I nearly swerved off the road when an idea hit me - a tea party with super cancer fighting foods as the main ingredients!

There are so many wonderful and delicious foods that help fight and prevent cancer, and after some time on Google and going through some old paperwork I compiled this list.  It is a fairly impressive list of foods, that I now feel I am more aware of when I go to the grocery store.  More and more of them are finding their way into my cart!

Dark Leafy Greens
Olive Oil 
Garlic
Berries
Watermelon
Cabbage
Carrots
Tomatoes
Avocado
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Chili Peppers
Jalapenos
Kale
Brussel Sprouts
Figs
Flax
Citrus Fruits
Red Grapes
Licorice Root
Mushrooms
Nuts
Papayas
Red Wine
Rosemary
Seaweed and Sea Vegetables
Soy
Sweet Potatoes
Green and Black Tea
Tapioca
Tumeric

Everything that is bold is used in today's tea party recipes!  Speaking of recipes - when I think tea party I think of sitting outdoors in lush greenery, surrounded by ladies who lunch with big rimmed hats and white gloves, and lots of finger foods with a butler catering to my every whim and need.  Maybe that had something to do with my having just finished Pride and Prejudice, but I wanted to bring a more modern feel to my tea party! Not to mention, there would definitely not be wait staff hehe!  With ALL of that being said, I hope you guys enjoy and join the cause!


Kale Chips with Italian Hummus
Yields 4 generous servings

Ingredients
1 medium sized bundle of Kale (approximately 1 pound) cleaned and stems cut
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Sea Salt 
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
Leaves of 2 sprigs of Rosemary

To Prepare the Chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread the Kale out evenly on a baking sheet and sprinkle with approximately 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
3. Sprinkle with the sea salt and place in the oven.
4. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the kale has started to crisp.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to rest on the baking sheet until ready to serve.


To Prepare the Hummus
1. In a food processor, puree the beans and garlic together.
2. Add the lemon juice and 1 tbsp of olive oil, and mix in the food processor.
3. Add the rosemary leaves and run through the food processor until thoroughly mixed.
The chips are a little flimsy for actual dipping, but the hummus spreads very nicely onto them - and what a combination!

Broccoli Salad
Yields 6 servings

Ingredients 
1 pound broccoli, cleaned
1 medium carrot, washed and peeled
10 mission figs, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used low calorie mayo)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vinegar

To Prepare the Salad 
1. Cut the broccoli flowers off of the stems, and chop them into small pieces.  Place them in a decent sized bowl.
2. Grate the carrot and add to the bowl.
3. Add the figs to the bowl and stir everything together.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the mayo, sugar, and vinegar until well incorporated.
5. Add the sauce to the bowl of vegetables and mix together well! 
I love the sweet and sour flavor notes in this salad! 

Finger Sandwiches with a Kick
Yields 6 servings

Ingredients
6 oblong dinner rolls (mini torpedo rolls, approximately 4 inches long)
Guacamole
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 of a jalapeno, seeded and chopped


To Prepare the Sandwich
1. Spread a hearty amount of guacamole onto 1 side of the roll.
2. Finish each sandwich with a heavy serving of tomatoes, and a sprinkle of jalapenos.
I couldn't have a tea party without some sort of finger sandwich!  But, I refuse to cut off crust!

Frozen Berry Salad with Lemon Yogurt
Yields 6 servings

Ingredients 
1 cup blueberries
1 cup blackberries
1 cup cleaned and sliced strawberries
1 container lemon flavored greek yogurt (I used Chobani)

To Prepare the Salad
1. Mix the berries together in a bowl and freeze until firm. 
2. When ready to serve, plate and top with a dollop of lemon greek yogurt.  You can garnish with lemon zest if you would like! 
What I loved about this salad, was that as it starts to melt, the juices incorporate into the yogurt!


And finally, what would a tea party be without tea!

Green Tea and Citrus Smoothies
Yields 4 servings

Ingredients 
1 package silken tofu
1 honey flavored greek yogurt  (Again, I used Chobani)
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 an orange
Juice of 1/2 a pink grapefruit
2 Snapple Singles to Go Green Tea packets


To Prepare the Smoothie
1. Puree the tofu in a blender or food processor.
2. Once the tofu is pureed, add the yogurt and green tea packets.
3. Puree everything together again.
4. Add the citrus juices, and puree.
You cannot taste the tofu, and it is ridiculously creamy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...