Monday, August 8, 2011

Southern (Breakfast) Delights

I love rifling through old recipes that belonged to my relatives, especially if they are ethnic or regional recipes that I have never had or have only ever heard of, which is how I stumbled upon a recipe for Hummingbird cake!  Hummingbird cake is what I like to refer to as Southern Fruitcake made with cinnamon, crushed pineapple, banana, and pecans (and sans the dried fruit and creepy gummy cherry things).  My Granny White lived in Virginia for the large majority of her life during a simpler time, so needless to say the recipes she left behind had a Southern, pocket friendly, and traditional twist.  I had heard of Hummingbird cake briefly on tv, but had never seen it, let alone tried it.  When I came across the recipe for it I had to try it.  I made Hummingbird cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for my cousin's graduation party, which were a huge hit, but found myself with leftover ingredients I did not know what to do with.  I will post the actual Hummingbird and frosting recipes in the next few weeks!

When a hankering for pancakes hit, I hesitated towards the kitchen.  Personally, I am not a big pancake fan, so when I am craving them it is a cold day in Hades! My dad and sister, god love'em, brutalize pancakes with too high heat, decorators sugar, and not enough water in the mix, so I take over the kitchen on pancake days.  This time I remembered my leftover cupcake ingredients and kicked up my batter a notch - if only I had a dollop of cream cheese frosting left to top them off with!  At least the syrup went well with everything!




Hummingbird Pancakes 
Yields approximately 6 large pancakes

Ingredients 

2 cups complete pancake mix
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon, depending on your taste for cinnamon
6 tbsp crushed pineapple
2 ripe bananas, chopped
1 cup chopped pecans

To Prepare the Pancakes 
1. Mix the pancake mix and water together.
2. Blend the remaining ingredients into the batter.
3. Prepare your pancakes per the usual instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...